Death by Food Pyramid: How Shoddy Science, Sketchy Politics and Shady Special Interests Have Ruined Our Health
By Denis Minger
Denise Minger shares her personal story about how she got convinced to go all-out raw vegan at a pretty young age. She initially saw tremendous health improvements, but after a while she started losing a lot of weight. She decided to stop eating vegan after her dentist told her that he/she had never seen such bad teeth in someone her age.
She exposes the forces that overrode common sense and solid science to launch a pyramid phenomenon that bled far beyond US borders to taint the eating habits of the entire developed world.
At the end, she makes a comparison between three of the most popular diets, and instead of looking at their differences, she looks at what they have in common.
Eat like our ancestors, focused on unprocessed foods
Caveat: _some vegetables are starchy and some fruits are high in sugar _
Lots of Veggies, grains and olive oil.
Caveat: also snails and fasting
Centered around unprocessed starches, along with some non-starchy vegetables and some fruit.
Caveat: No known human population has ever lived exclusively on plants and thrived
Together, these three diets omit:
- Refined sugar
- Refined flour
- Processed vegetable oils
- Anything coming in a plastic or tinfoil, microwaveable package
- Anything too processed
- Eliminate Refined carbs
- Eliminate Refined sugars
- Eliminate High omega 6 vegetable oils
- Secure a source of essential fat-soluble vitamins (shellfish, fish-eggs, high fat dairy, organ meat, cod liver oil) OK to have small amounts
- Find nutrient-dense foods from the animal and plant kingdom, including seaweeds, fruits, berries, vegetables
- For animal foods: replace muscle meat by nose-to-tail eating
- Respect your genetics (keep track of you blood markers)
- Don’t fall into group thinking, don’t become your diet
- Health is more than what you shove in your mouth
If you enjoyed the podcast please subscribe and rate it. And of course, share with your friends!